“Your words have power. Speak words that are kind, loving, positive, uplifting, encouraging, and life-giving.” – Author Unknown
I’ve written this article with the explicit purpose of reminding you of twelve powerful phrases guaranteed to keep your attitude and mindset positive. Tattoo these phrases and behaviours into your mind, heart, and vocabulary and watch the difference that you will make in the world.
- I’ll be there If you have ever had to call a friend in the middle of the night, you will know how good it feels to hear the phrase ‘I’ll be there.’ Being there for another person is the greatest gift we can give. When we’re truly present for other people, important things happen to them and ourselves.
- I’m sorry When we wrong someone, that person is going to respond angrily. We need to let them know that we are sincerely sorry for what we did. Most people try and defend positions where they are in the wrong. Still, it’s incredible how problems disappear when we sincerely say ‘I’m sorry’.
- I miss you Perhaps more relationships could be saved and strengthened if couples genuinely say to each other, ‘I miss you’. This powerful affirmation tells partners they are wanted, needed, desired, and loved.
- I believe in you You need to develop a philosophy of ‘I believe in you’. It is a powerful phrase that is guaranteed to encourage and empower others. All leaders and mentors need to use these words continually.
- Please forgive me Many damaged relationships could be healed if people would admit their mistakes and ask for forgiveness. A person should never be ashamed to own up that they were in the wrong and take action to fix a relationship.
- Thank you Gratitude is a superb form of courtesy. ‘Thank you’ recognises the kindness and effort that others have made. ‘Thank you’ says that we appreciate an act, job, or gesture made by others. Gratitude is the antidote to most negative feelings.
- I’m proud of you This phrase is perfect for everyone but especially important to use with children (of any age). A human needs to be acknowledged and recognised by those who mean the most to us. It’s lovely to take pride in our accomplishments. Still, the feeling is immensely intensified when others go out of their way to say to us, ‘I’m proud of you’.
- I love you These are perhaps the most important three words you can say. Telling someone you genuinely love satisfies their most profound emotional need, the need to be appreciated. Your partner, your children, friends, and you all need to hear those three powerful words, ‘I love you’.
- You can count on me A friend is there during good times and bad. Loyalty is an essential ingredient of true friendship. When we are faced with a challenge, a good friend is the one who says ‘you can count on me’.
- I trust you ‘I trust you’ is a critical and powerful phrase for positive people. We need to display trust that someone will do a good job, or that we trust someone, to be honest, or simply trusting that people will keep their promises. Trust is a crucial quality of leadership.
- I respect you All people are important and valuable. We must, therefore, respect them. You earn respect by showing respect. Saying the words ‘I respect you’ is tremendously powerful, but respect must be demonstrated and earned.
- I’m wrong I conclude with the phrase ‘I’m wrong’ because it’s the most difficult of the phrases to say and mean. It’s tough to admit when we’re wrong, even to ourselves. Having the strength to say the words ‘I’m wrong’ is the sign of an enlightened and self-confident person.
Learn these phrases and use them every day.
These powerful phrases will guarantee you more power to contribute to a more positive society.