“Nurture your mind with great thoughts, for you will never go any higher than you think.” -Benjamin Disraeli
I’m sure you’ve already set some significant goals for the coming year. Today, I’m going to suggest that you set one more – to become a better person.
You are going to achieve that by committing to:
- pay less attention to yourself and more attention to other people
- be interested, not interesting
- focus on opportunities, not problems
- listen first, talk later
- only criticise when your criticism is constructive
- never speak badly about anyone
- never complain about anything
- not playing the blame game
- not making excuses
- perform an act of kindness every day
These commitments will have a profound effect on your happiness.
The secret to happiness has nothing to do with putting yourself first. Happiness and fulfilment in life usually come from doing less for yourself and more for others.
I’m probably not saying anything you don’t already know, but putting others first is a commitment that seems to require constant attention.
And today is a great time to renew this commitment.
“If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.” – Tony Robbins